1. What is the standard Homecloud configuration?
Homecloud applications offer different ways to backup, protect and share your personal data. Knowing which application is best suite your needs is important. Here is the basic information that would help in making the right decision.
Lets say you have your music files, movies, photos or large data content that you want to backup at a centralized storage location within your home and access that data anytime from any devices within your home then you would better of using Network Share drive (Network Attached Storage) or Backup and Share application with a large storage capacity external drive.
Now if you have some very important data that you want to backup and want to preserve all future modification/versions or changes then you would better of using Data Protection application with small storage capacity external drive.
2. How do I connect Homecloud DHM to devices like (Verizon FIOS, AT&T UVerse, Comcast XFinity)?
Simply follow this steps:
1. Remove your DHM, USB setup key, power supply and white Ethernet cable from box.
2. Connect one end of white Ethernet cable (included in shipping box) to available LAN port on your existing broadband modem or network (devices like Verizon FIOS, AT&T UVerse, Comcast XFinity) and the other end to "Internet" port (white port) on the back of the Homecloud DHM.
3. Connect power supply (included in shipping box) to your DHM. Plug the other end of power supply into wall jack and wait for Homecloud DHM to boot up.
4. Wait for Homecloud DHM LED domed light to turn solid blue color. (This operation may take up to 2 mins)
5. By default, Homecloud DHM comes with pre-configured wireless with SSID broadcasted as "Homecloud_XXXX" (for 2.4 G radio) and "Homecloud_XXXX_5G (for 5G radio) (where XXXX is last 4 digit of your DHM serial number located at the bottom of the DHM unit)
6. In order to use, Homecloud functionality, all devices (computers, smart phones, tablets, game console other networking devices etc..) MUST connect to Homecloud DHM network either via wired or wireless.
7. Do not turn off DHCP on Homecloud DHM otherwise your device will not be able to connect to Homecloud DHM.
8. Do not turn off Wi-Fi on Homecloud DHM unless you want all your networking devices to Ethernet (or wired) connected.
9. For Advance router configuration, please read our "DHM Router Quick Start Guide" documentation. Here is the link: http://www.homecloud.com/docs/default-document-library/2012/10/04/dhmroutersetup.pdf
3. How does Backup and Share application work?
Backup and Share application requires a external USB drive to be plugged in the FRONT port of Homecloud DHM. Once the drive is inserted in front port and added to Backup and Share application, you can right click and select folder that you want to backup on your computer and folders will get backup automatically depends upon your scheduled backup interval time. By default, scheduled backup interval time is every 24 hrs
Once folder has been selected and added to “Backup and Share” application, the application continuously monitors that folder for future changes and does the incremental backup. Please note that “Backup and Share” application does NOT preserve previous version rather it backs up latest version.
You can map your “Backup And Share” drive onto your computer using //myhomecloud/BackupAndShare network share path.
4. How does Data Protection application work?
Data Protection application requires external USB or eSATA drive to be plugged in the BACK port of Homecloud DHM. Once the drive is inserted and added to Homecloud (By clicking "Add To Homecloud" button on Storage page), the drive gets formatted with EXT3 partition and can be used by “Data Protection” and “My iOS” applications. Similar to “Backup and Share” application, you can right click and select the folder that you want “Data Protection” application to backup and monitor.
Once folder has been selected and added to “Data Protection” application, the application continuously monitors that folder for future changes and backup all changes/previous versions (unlike “Backup And Share” application) so that you can go back in time in restore your previous version. (IMPORTANT NOTE: “Data Protection” application meant to backup and preserves all versions of your important data. It is not recommended to backup your entire video, music or photo collection given that those types of data will not change over time.)
5. How does "My iOS" application work?
"My iOS" application requires external USB or eSATA drive to be plugged in the BACK port of Homecloud DHM. Once the drive is inserted and added to Homecloud (By Clicking "Add To Homecloud" button on Storage page), the drive gets formatted with EXT3 partition and can be used by “Data Protection” and “My iOS” application.
You need to download Homecloud application from Apple appstore. Once Homecloud iOS application installed and registered to use with Homecloud DHM, you can use the Homecloud iOS application to view and access “My iOS” folder resides in all your Homecloud enable computers (Windows and Mac). You can put data in “My iOS” on your Homecloud enabled computer and view the data on your iOS device using Homecloud iOS application.
Using Homecloud iOS application, you can also upload pics and/or movies from your iOS device camera roll to USB drive attached to Homecloud DHM. The uploaded pics and/or movies also get synchronized and copied to “My iOS” folder resides in all your Homecloud enabled computers (Windows and Mac).
6. Does Homecloud DHM support file/folder with Unicode character?
7. I added external storage drive to Homecloud DHM but why Storage page says “0% of 0 MB” use?
This means you DO NOT have any drive added to Homecloud storage. “Data Protection” and “My iOS” application require external USB or eSATA drive to be plugged in the BACK port of Homecloud DHM and drive has to be added to Homecloud.
8. Is there any limit on number of USB drives can be added to Homecloud DHM?
There are 3 USB port (1 front and 2 back) and 1 eSATA port available for use.
Front USB port is dedicated to use for “Backup and Share” application.
Back 2 USB and 1 eSATA port is available to use with Network Share (Network Attached Storage), Data Protection application and My iOS application.
You can also expand your storage capacity by adding external powered USB hub and insert more external USB drive to the hub.
9. Do I need to be an Administrator to install the Homecloud client software?
Yes, you will need to be an administrator to install the Homecloud client software properly.
10. Can I install the Homecloud client software on the same computer for multiple Users?
No, currently the Homecloud client software supports a single user per computer.
11. Why is Homecloud displaying a bubble notification “Caution! Homecloud icon overlay functionality may not work properly. For details, please visit: "http://www.homecloud.com/support/faqs". ?
Windows OS limits the number of icon overlays used by applications. Homecloud software has detected that there are not enough icon overlays available. Uninstall other applications that use icon overlays.
12. Why am I getting a registration bubble notification after Homecloud installation?
After the Homecloud Installation, you must register your device to the DHM. You can either click on the bubble notification which will open the Homecloud webpage and you can accept the device, or you can select the Register Device option from the Homecloud Tray Icon.
13. Why I am not seeing Homecloud Context menu after Homecloud Installation?
You need to register your device to the Homecloud DHM.
14. Why are Homecloud Icon Overlays not displayed on files and/or folders?
Right click on the Homecloud tray icon and select Refresh Folder Icons as shown below:
15. Why is my Homecloud Tray Icon grayed out?
This means your device is not connected to the Homecloud DHM
16. Do I need to configure my firewall to work with Homecloud?
Yes. By default Homecloud installation software adds a firewall rule on Windows system. If you are using a 3rd party firewall or if no firewall rule is present then you need to manually add a firewall rule to allow “Homecloud” or “Westell.Homecloud.Das.exe” to access the Homecloud DHM through the firewall.
17. How do I upgrade to the latest version of the Homecloud client software?
Right click on Homecloud tray icon and select Install Software Update to upgrade the Homecloud client software.
18. Will the Homecloud software upgrade forget my selected folders?
19. Why is my Homecloud Context Menu option not displaying?
- The Homecloud client software is not connected to the DHM.
- A software upgrade is available for the Homecloud client software.
- The Homecloud client software is not running.
20. Why does the Homecloud context menu display only a few options?
If you encounter this situation:
Go to myHomecloud/ Applications & Services tab(http://myhomecloud/Homecloud.html).
Click on “Disable” button for the specified application and enable it back.
If the application is already disabled, click on Enable button.
21. Why is Context menu not displaying on some folders on Windows?
Homecloud Context menus will not display on windows system folders, windows hidden folder or windows protected folders.
22. Can I remove the Homecloud USB drive from the DHM and use it on other computers?
Yes, any system which can read EXT3 format can access the drive. However it is not recommended to modify or use the USB drive in this manner.
23. Can I use my existing USB drive, which has all my previously backed up data, as Homecloud drive?
Yes. But you will lose all backed up data. Adding a USB drive to the Homecloud storage will format the drive before use.
24. Can I use the same USB drive for both Backup and Share and Homecloud services at the same time?
No. You cannot use the same drive for both Backup and Share and Data Protection at the same time. You need to use separate USB drives.
25. If I Uninstall the Homecloud client software from my computer, will I lose all previously backed up data on the Homecloud USB drive?
No, uninstalling the Homecloud client software from your computer will not delete the backed up data from the Homecloud USB drive.
26. Can I reinstall Homecloud on the same computer?
Yes, but first you need to uninstall the Homecloud client from your computer. After the computer has rebooted, login to http://myhomecloud/ and then click on “Device” tab then select “Remove” for the computer from the Devices tab and Install Homecloud on your computer.
27. How many Homecloud devices can connect to one DHM?
You can connect a maximum of up to 25 devices to one DHM
28. Why is Homecloud not displaying the bubble notifications on Mac?
A third party framework ‘Growl 1.2.2’ needs to be installed for bubble notifications to appear on Mac.
29. Will "Disable Applications and Services" delete the previously added data?
30. Can I connect Homecloud DHM to my existing router? How does it work?
Yes. You need to connect Ethernet cable from your existing router to WAN port (White port) of your Homecloud DHM. (IMPORTANT NOTE: In order to use Homecloud application functionality from your computer, you HAVE to connect to Homecloud network either via WiFi or Wired connection).
31. How can I access myhomecloud web site?
32. Do I need an Internet Connection to use the Homecloud application?
Depends upon which Homecloud application you are using. For example, without internet connection you will not be able to upload your data to AmazonS3 or Picasa Web Album.
33. How do I know if my computer is connected to the Homecloud DHM?
You will see a blue Tray Icon on your computer. Also you will see the context menu while right clicking on a folder.
34. My computer is not connected to the Homecloud DHM. Will new data get backed up once my computer connects to the Homecloud DHM?
35. Can I use my Homecloud DHM as a normal router?
Yes, you can use the Homecloud DHM as a normal router as well as a Homecloud device.
36. What does each Homecloud icon overlay means?
- The orange Icon indicates the service or application is working on your request.
- The blue Icon (Data Protection) indicates that the selected folder/file is successfully added and protected by Homecloud Data Protection application.
- The green icon (Backup And Share) indicates that the selected folder/file is added to “Backup and Share” and it will get backed up upon scheduled backup time.
- The red Icon indicates that the selected folder/file is not backed up to an external USB drive.
37. If I Uninstall Homecloud client software from my computer, will I lose "My iOS" folder contents?